Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Mulroney Unleashed.

The headline crawling across the bottom of my TV screen this morning said: “Mulroney miffed at reports of his early demise”. Somehow I think “miffed” is an understatement.
I was lucky enough to spend a few hours with the guy a few years back. He indulged the geek in me by telling stories about his years as PM. Everyone writes about his “legendary Irish charm” and they are not lying. Up close the man can tell a story like nobody else. A few more minutes in his office he could have sold me Amway products.

It’s because of Mulroney that Newfoundland has the offshore oil industry it has today. It’s easy to forget but the Hibernia “mega project” wasn’t an easy sell in Canada. Mulroney made that happen.
Anyway the former Prime Minister is out of Hospital and he is on the mend. Good news.